ANIMALS AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION
As our plans for the new facility move forward, please visit the Council Bluffs Animal Shelter and the Pottawattamie County Animal Shelter for animals currently available for adoption.
FACTS ABOUT ANIMAL SHELTERING
(2007 figures provided by the ASPCA)
- Approximately 5-7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year.
- Approximately 3-4 million are euthanized due to a lack of space or resources to
- adequately care for them (60% of dogs and 70% of cats).
- Less than 2% of cats and only 15-20% of dogs are returned to their owners (most of
- these were identified with tags, tattoos or microchips).
- 25% of dogs that enter local shelters are purebred.
- Only 10% of the animals received by shelters have been spayed or neutered. 75% of
- owned pets are neutered.
The average number of litters a fertile cat produces is 1-2 per year; the average number of kittens in litters is between 4-6.
The average number of litters a fertile dog produces is 1 per year; the average number of puppies in litters is between 4-6.
It is impossible to determine how many stray dogs and cats live in the US; estimates for cats alone range up to 70 million.
Owned cats and dogs generally live longer, healthier lives than strays.
Many strays are lost pets that were not kept properly indoors or provided with identification.